Sunday, November 9, 2008

So I got a PM today,

And it came from unclechawie. He asks:
------------------
"OSM,

I'd like to replicate BotB here in TX. Any insight you can provide into how to make this a great an invent as possible would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help."
------------------

My response: Plan things out 3-5 months in advance. the Battle of the Border this past weekend was awesome, but there were a couple things that could have gone better if we had more time (the playmat would've had different art). I also suggest you get into regular contact with a space rental place unless your local hobby league shop has room for 20-40 players. The Battle of the Border had a ton of prize support from different parties; Gdaybloke's crew chipped in, Cliff chipped in, VS_Savant chipped in, me and others all chipped in. People brought cool and different things; it was sort of like a pot luck. We're fortunate to have people in the area to help out; I wouldn't have asked them personally to chip in but I'm very glad they did and I feel like it helped to give everyone a positive experience. Everyone left with at least two decent prizes, not to mention around 20 promos per player.

Advertise the event at least 2-3 months out so people can make plans. Drill it into people, convince them to go! I feel like we decided on GA BYOT a little late and potentially we could've had more people from Rhode Island show.

We were fortunate to have a spot for 12 hours of play; even then, it felt rushed. In the beginning it seemed like we had plenty of time but it slipped away. I guess that's when you know you're having a good time.

On the playmat, I bought 12 copies. Nested Egg Gaming gave me a discount because it was for a big event; hopefully they can do the same for you when you get to that point of the planning stage.

We had a constructed event and a sealed one. We also had a meet and greet the previous night, which was casual play and a draft. Maybe that model will work for you, or maybe you'll want to try something different.

Call it the Revenge of the Alamo, lol. Hope this helps.
--------------------

So, I figured I'd share this with the entire vs community.
Next up will be the top-8 decklists from the Battle of the Border, and after that will be commentary.
'Till next time gang!
- Alex "OSM" Lloyd

No comments: