Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Battle of the Border!: TBS, I'm sorry.

Just a heads up, this is basically my event designer diary entry.

I look back fondly to the events that happened this past weekend; The Battle of the Border. It was a ton of fun, you don't need me to tell you - other participants already have.

I'd like for one thing to be clear before I continue - I loved the Pro Circuit, I loved the events this past year (even MWNY was redeemed by a Cliff hug), so please allow me, TBS, to apologize for the feedback from this past weekend's event consisting of things like "better than any event ever." I'm sure they appreciate the events you guys have put on, and I hope you don't take it as your events weren't enjoyed - because they were. By many.

Also, a true unsung hero - Matt "VS_Savant2" Robertson. I'd link you to his profile so you could give him rep, but vsrealms.com is down (and so are all of the sister sites). This guy is pure goodness; He sent not one, but TWO carepackages to me to be used as prizes, and he didn't participate or anything. Here's what he supplied us with:
---------------
* Superman Lunchbox (won by Cliff)
* X-Men 3 movie (won by Steph 'misguidedwonder')
* Iron Man comics (given to everyone as participation)
* Modern/Golden Rares, foils & EAs (given out to multiple recepiants)
* Spider-Spud (won** by Spud)
* 2 Deckboxes (combined with others and given out to multiple recepiants)
---------------
I mean, seriously. All this stuff, plus the cost of shipping, out of pure generosity.
The VS community owes you.

Now, back on track. I'd like to narrate the course of events that led us to this spectacular event taking place:
First, Let's go back. Back to VS Worlds, this past July - I meet Aaron Mead and Steph. Now, as awesome as that was, I had no idea this encounter would be the spark next to an oil drum that would result into the sky being lit up like fireworks (ok so I'm not that great with metaphors, psych major here). We played in the Golden Age event the Thursday of Origins, and I swear I've never laughed as much as when I played my Spider-Clones against Aaron's New School (I think he used similar words when recounting the tale).

The next significant piece was Steph being convinced to join us on vsrealms, and I was reminded again of Aaron's awesomeness, and passively suggested that if we were given the opportunity, playing again would be great. Since we live so close to the Canadian/US border, I used the words "Battle of the Border" to highlight the epicity of what said encounter would be like (because it was, in every sense of the word, completely epic playing at Worlds). What with Steph's thread being called "Hello from Eastern Canada" resident Spud & Gday joined in on the conversation, and agreed that it would be excellent to play.

Suddenly, this comment, desire to relive an amazing vs experience was coming alive (and Jebus Aaron we didn't play once! we'll fix that at BotB2).

We started talking about where such an event should be held, and after a week or so (now mid-late July), We settled on Rochester NH on the grounds that we needed local presence, and relative central-ness to everyone (except Gday's crew). A close runner-up would have been Niagra. While we're talking about location, just a quick note that (well at least I felt that-) whoever hosts the event should put up more than those traveling. I feel this way because we don't have to spend a crapton on gas, we don't have to get hotel rooms, we can still live relatively normally in the duration. While I appreciate your praises alot, don't forget that you guys played a major role as well - I thank you for traveling the distance, going the extra mile to be here.

So now that the location has been decided on, John Tauron_Nox went to Ralph (owner of Jetpack Comics) to see about finding us a place to play. Ralph has done this sort of thing before, runs numerous comic-based events in the city of Rochester, and is a true saint. The store doesn't really have too much gaming space (IE they can't fit 30+ people for an event of this calibur) so the urgency to find a place to play was heightened. More on this in just a sec.

Next, we needed to figure out what exactly would be in the event: by this time (early-mid august) I had missed my local GA BYOT, and I love the concept for the format (anything that can let me play quicksilver, mutant avenger and pseudo-infy attack has to be good in my book). It felt like a very thematic format, and we can say the Avengers played against the Alpha Flight***.
We actually had a vote, and although a couple guys wanted modern, the majority wanted GA BYOT. Me being the great compromiser I am I suggested that modern be casually played in hotel rooms. I'm glad what basically came out of this was that Friday was the meet & greet event, so by the time we all went to the main event we knew eachother. We agreed to play super x-over sealed if there was time.

Then, when everything seems to be going great, I get a PM from Tauron_Nox saying that Ralph couldn't find a reasonable location (It was worded a little differently but this is the basic message I got). With John being busy and Ralph at a dead end, and with the event less than 3 months to go I started to panic. I tried looking at Special Events New England, New England Tent Rentals, and checked with gamestores I knew had the room for us.

I ran into the same wall Ralph ran into, it seems. Then, I turned to my 2nd best friend in the world, google.com. At this point I was gasping at straws. Somewhere in that first page of the google search was The Governor's Inn, and I thought 'gee, that sounds like a decent place.' Right in Rochester. So, I gave 'em a call. What would it hurt, right? So I call them and get some info, and tell them I'd have someone take a look (I mentioned this place to John and Ralph, they check it out). We get the green light; $200 per timeslot, 2 timeslots in a day. $400 for a day. $100 down payment.

Me, never having done this sort of thing before, I ask Ralph/John if that's a good price. They jumped on it. The raincloud's silver lining grows brighter. Even better, Matt Robertson's package came in. On the forums, Gday says he'll chip some prize support in, and Matt responded by sending yet another package. I love them generous folk.

Three weeks out. I haven't spent one cent yet. I figure it's about time to start shopping around for boxes for the super x-over (I get paid bi-weekly if that's a good enough excuse). I get the idea that having playmats would be cool for the event (hence the multiple threads on the subject).
Eventually I'm lead to casanovapooh on the realms, and am told I'm too late to make the playmats. But, if I hurry, I could get something in and he'd try to get it out.
By this time I had already asked Spud if he'd get something together, and have seen plenty of nice images. I needed something quick, and I made the playmat as we know it in under 2 hours. Considering it was done with paint and considering I'm sucky when it comes to all forms of art (computer graphics included, just look at the vs symbol of this blog's header).
I had to ask casanovapooh to add the text to the playmat.

Two weeks out. Trouble comes up with people who were previously on the "definitely coming" list. I weasle one into going, but couldn't get Darius. ahhh. Gotta fix that for next time. Also, Scott tells me of a super duper prize (as we now know as galactus poster).

One week out. I get a call from the governor's inn saying that they had a cancellation and that if we moved rooms we'd get 1/2-off. hells yeash! Also, the entirety of the prizes arrive from my end of things & Matt's.

Then, the day comes ... It's Friday, 11/7. The day everyone gets here. Let's pause the game here, and continue our story next time shall we?

- Alex "OSM" Lloyd



** I rigged the dice-roll on that one
*** NONE of the Canadians ran Alpha Flight. What's up with that???

No comments: